There is no cure for diabetes and the diabetic patient needs lifelong treatment. Diabetic patients have to go through various complications. Though it is possible to lead a healthy and normal life, if you fail to do regular health care, it will lead to various problems. People who are suffering from diabetes are at high risk of foot infections. Thus, it is recommended that diabetic people should take care of their feet. The diabetic patients should not ignore any problem in their feet and it will lead to amputation of feet or entire leg. Diabetic patients should choose good quality shoes, diabetic socks, and various other essential items to reduce complications.
Diabetes & Foot Care
People who are suffering from diabetes are at a high risk of complications due to the high sugar level in their blood. Sometimes, a high blood sugar level also leads to nerve damage.
Usually, the diabetic patients suffer from feet related problems. Various symptoms of nerve damage or diabetic neuropathy are described below:
- Feeling of numbness in toes and feet
- Severe pain in feet and it goes worse during the night
- Burning or tingling sensation and muscle weakness.
- Deformities in foot
If you are suffering from diabetic neuropathy and started losing sensation in your feet, you may not able to sense the pain of injury. Diabetic patients have to take care of their feet and prevent them from even small injuries. For example, a pebble stuck the shoe of the diabetic patient will rub against the foot and may cause a small ulcer.
People who are suffering from diabetes should wear diabetic dress socks. Well, the diabetic socks are available in different styles, types and sizes. The diabetic socks are designed to reduce foot injuries and also help to keep your feet warm. You should choose the right pair of diabetic socks that help in meeting your needs and demands. Consider the following characteristics of diabetic socks:
- Seamless: The diabetic socks are seamless so that they do not rub against your skin. Socks with seams can lead to blisters and ulcers.
- Moisture-wicking: It is imperative to keep your feet dry and prevent them from skin infections. Even a small infection can become untreatable and lead to amputation.
- Breathable: the diabetic socks are made up of breathable fabric and help to keep your feet dry.
- Warm Socks: High blood sugar levels lead to the restricted blood flow and also decrease the blood circulation. Thus, the diabetic socks are made up of warm fabric that helps in improving the blood circulation.
- Square Toe Box: The diabetic socks provide good space in front of the socks. Thus, diabetic socks provide good space for toes and ensure good comfort.
- Perfect Fit: Usually, the diabetic socks conform to the leg and feet. Thus, the diabetic socks prevent your feet from any kind of injury.
- Padded: The diabetic socks incorporate padding in the socks cushion to ensure prevention from any kind of injury.
Important Things To Consider While Choosing Diabetic Socks
When you choose the diabetic socks, you should make sure that you have selected the perfect pair of socks. If the diabetic person has not developed any type of neuropathy, you should choose a pair that provides ultimate comfort. It is recommended that if diabetic patients observe any new symptoms of their older injuries start getting worse, they should immediately consult a doctor. It is important to do your foot car and prevent them from bad injuries.
If a diabetic patient has started showing the symptoms of neuropathy, you should start looking for a perfect pair of socks and do not forget to consider the present condition. People who are suffering from neuropathy start observing cracked and dry skin. It is recommended that invest in a pair of socks with soft fabric.
The diabetic patients who are suffering from neuropathy and if it is at the advanced stage, these people should wear diabetic socks that fit perfectly. Make sure that the diabetic socks won’t bunch up and will not rub against your skin.
When it comes to choosing the perfect pair of socks, you should make sure that the diabetic socks are not extremely tight. You should make a perfect balance between the blood circulation and the perfect fit. Diabetic people often suffer from poor blood circulation. Therefore, they should avoid wearing tight socks. In addition to diabetic socks, the people who are suffering from diabetes should also invest in diabetic slippers.
The diabetic people have various options when they have to choose the diabetic socks. First of all, you should understand the condition of your feet so that you can choose the right one. Make sure that you purchase the pair of socks that provide complete comfort.